This is of course - Khim's recipe. Khim did not give me any exact amount of any ingredients, so I made up my own.
3 shallots, diced into small pieces
2 pieces of ginger
1 Chinese egg plant (long, not round), cut into pieces, leave skin on
4-5 long beans
2 stalks of lemon grass
3/4 cup of cubed pineapple
3/4 cup cabbage
2 star anise
curry leaves from 2 stalks
1 tsp roasted belacan
1 small bag fried tofu cubes (tau foo bok)
3 heaping tablespoons of seafood curry powder
1 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp hot chilli paste
2/3 can evaporated milk or coconut milk
2/3 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined, leaving tails on
- Cut all vegetables into your preferred sizes. Mix enough water into curry powder to make a paste. Smash lemon grass with the handle of your knife.
- Heat up oil in medium heat in your wok/pot, make sure you have enough oil to saute the following. Saute shallots for 1 1/2 minutes. Add curry powder paste, star anise, lemon grass, curry leaves, hot chilli paste, ginger, and roasted belacan. Saute until your curry powder smells toasty.
- Add all vegetables and mix to coat all vegetables, saute for 1 minute. Sprinkle some salt on all veggies, mix well.
- Add enough water to cover up all vegetables. Bring it up to a boil, add fried tofu cubes.
- Let it simmer until your egg plant is soft, add shrimp and pineapple and sugar. Salt again. Stir well.
- Add evaporated milk and mix well - do not let the milk overcook otherwise you will see small milk bits floating all over your curry. (This only happens with evaporated milk, coconut milk does not do that)
- Turn off heat. Serve hot with steamed rice.
Note: hot chilli paste is Homemade Ground Chillies in Oil from Little Corner Of Mine.